Censuring The Censors
Rod W coordinates and maintains these entries. He also maintains The
Chopping List, a comprehensive guide to movies which have been censored in
Scream: Collector's Edition
The scenes that appear to be cut are:
- the close-up of Steve's intestines as they fall from his stomach. This has been removed from this version.
- the camera speeding towards Casey as she hangs from the tree. In the uncut version, the camera goes towards her at normal speed, but the cut version is time compressed to give a rushed look. This is definitely the cut version as the camera rushes in in a very jerky and fast manner.
- Tatum's head being crushed by the garage door. From what I can see this is in the movie as I can see her head crush, but perhaps more is seen in the uncut version.
- Kenny looking up at the killer after his throat is cut. This appears to be removed from this version.
- Billy going berserk as he stabs Stuart. This is also removed from this version.
- After Billy and Stuart stab each other, the uncut version shows a shot of Stuart's hand dripping blood into a puddle. This is removed from this version.
So, it would appear that this new Region 4 version is the cut version equivalent to that available in the US. For those that are interested, here is a bit of information I found about Buena Vista:
Buena Vista has a policy against releasing uncut versions of films if the footage that is reinstated would garner the film an X or NC-17 rating. Thus they will not release the director's cut of Scream on DVD. However, note that the commentary track on both DVDs makes reference to the cut footage because the commentary was recorded for the uncut laserdisc!
Some have wondered why, then, the laserdisc was uncut. Buena Vista explained that it was licensed to a third-party, Image Entertainment, who produced the laserdiscs. So, it was up to them to release the unedited version. So, until Buena Vista changes their policy or decides to license it to someone else, there will be no uncut version of Scream on DVD (even though a Region 2 Japanese DVD version is uncut).